Birth Assistant RN - Per Diem
Birth Assistant for the Midwifery Birth and Wellness Center. Per diem position to cover 12 hour call shifts 7a to 7p and 7p to 7a
The Birth Assistant will be an integral member of the Birth Center team, providing care for the client (patient), newborn and family, during labor, birth and post-partum period. The Birth Assistant may also participate in the provision of extended post-partum care, lactation assistance, home visits, patient education programs, community outreach, and Birth Center operations, in collaboration with the Administrative Director.
- Performs an assessment of the patient, leading to development, implementation and evaluation of a plan of care.
- Administers, monitors and documents therapeutic interventions and regimes.
- Effectively manages rapidly changing situations.
- Participates in clinical decision-making.
- Educates patient and family/responsible party regarding labor, birthing, and postpartum process, individual care needs, wellness, safety issues, etc.
- Delegates and monitors care rendered by other members of healthcare team.
- Demonstrates standard precautions and patient safety principles in practice.
- Participates in orientation, education and development of healthcare team.
- Identifies and participates in the performance improvement activities.
- Maintains professional and departmental level competencies
- Provides direct patient care for antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum, and newborn.
- Participates in Birth Center orientation & patient education activities
- Completes data collection and registry input
- Maintains Birth Center supply levels, performs equipment checks
- Provides ongoing care coordination including patient call- backs & appointment scheduling
- Completes terminal cleaning and restocking of birth suites which must be done before birth assistant leaves the Birth Center
- Reports to Lead Birth Assistant, items noted to be in short supply and/or facility issues noted while cleaning
- Attends Patient Transfer review meetings
- Attends in-service & education programs, including drills
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement activities
- Attends regularly scheduled staff meetings, programs and emergency drills
- Performs other responsibilities as directed by the Administrative/Clinical Director
Position Qualifications Required:
Minimum 2 years’ experience in labor & delivery. Additional experience in post-partum, newborn and lactation services preferred.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Nursing. Graduate of an accredited nursing school.
Training / Certification / Licensure:
NJ RN licensure, NRP, BLS required
Virtua helps you be well, get well, and stay well.
The trusted choice for personalized health care and wellness.
Read the latest news about Virtua's programs and services, community events, recent awards and more.See More