Child Life Specialist
Responsible for implementing and administering a program designed to further the social, emotional, intellectual and physical growth of children in the hospital setting.
This consists of therapeutic, educational and recreational activities for pediatric patients and their families.
Also responsible for orienting hospital staff to the psychosocial needs of children and their families and fostering positive hospital-community relations.
• Provides meaningful therapeutic, educational and recreational activities for children in the hospital appropriate to each child’s age and level of understanding. Activities are designed to provide the child with acceptable outlets for fear, anger and anxiety which might result from hospitalization or restricted activity in an unfamiliar environment.
• Participates in the assessment of patients in terms of language development, motor function, understanding of disease and emotional feeling regarding hospitalization. Refers child to early intervention services when appropriate.
• Assists the child and parents in adjusting to the hospital environment and maintaining a healthy attitude towards illness.
• Assists medical and nursing staff in pre-operative, pre-procedure, and pretreatment.
• Participates in associations whose concerns are related to the activities of the Child Life Program on both local and national levels. Represents the hospital at associations meetings.
• Maintains and recommends the purchase of necessary developmental and recreational equipment and supplies.
• Prepares reports on the total program activities as directed by Clinical Manager; participates in the development of policies and procedures pertinent to the Child Life Program.
• Participates in and provides in-service training program for staff around developmental issues.
Position Qualifications Required / Experience Required:
Completion of Child Development education program or internship.
Bachelor's degree in Child Development, Education or closely related field.
Master’s degree preferred.
Must be eligible for professional Child Life Specialist Certification.
The Virtua Experience
Our journey to be leader in customer satisfaction and loyalty
Virtua helps you be well, get well, and stay well.
Virtua, the premier choice in health and wellness.
The Virtua Credo:
We provide genuine, caring service every time.
Read the latest news about Virtua's programs and services, community events, recent awards and more.See More